Monday, December 6, 2010

KPIs not working? Things to check:

  1. Make sure the fields are logged.  In developer on the properties tab for the process step, select the "Logged Fields" tab and then choose which fields will be used for the KPI data and dimensions.  (See below)
  2. Ensure the facts are being collected. In your process database, you should have FACT_ tables with data being added.
  3.  If the new KPI is going against existing data, it may take a while to calculate and display it.
  4. Check the Event Map for the process/kpi.  Go to Administration->Analytics->KPIs->BusinessData.  Below there should be an Event Map that matches your process.  It should be marked "deployed".  If you open up the (+) sign, you should see your fact listed (which should match what you set up in designer) and below that any dimensions you have configured.


  5. Check if Monitoring->System-Wide->System Overview shows your event map. (You can search to narrow down to the name).
  6. Check if Monitoring->System-Wide->Problems has any entries which might explain your KPI problems.

Sorry I don't have the answers to every problem you might encounter here, but at least this might help you track down the root cause.  I've had to call support to get them working both times I've tried.  The first time I wasn't logging the fields (duh).  The second time my event map was not correct.  The fact name didn't match the fact being collected, so it wasn't resolving.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kevin,

    Need a clarification regarding the point 1. Is it necessary to ensure that the field we are using as a KPI needs to be a logged field?
    I have worked with KPIs and I do not think this is accurate. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

    Thanks,
    Neeraja

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, your comment got marked as spam.

    I was on the phone with SAG support and I did have to set the field as a logged field for it to show up as a KPI. Setting it to logged actually writes it to some of the internal database tables. If not flagged to be logged it is never written and was not able to be searched.

    ReplyDelete